[vlc-devel] Re: Passing/setting variables across threads/modules?

Derk-Jan Hartman hartman at videolan.org
Fri Oct 29 18:24:40 CEST 2004

variable values are usually inherited from higher level objects if they
are set at higher level objects

for intance
playlist->input->codec->vout.

so if you want to inherit a input specific value  (changes every
input), and you want to set that before the window is created in the
vout object, you can set that best on the p_input object instead of the
p_vout object.

DJ

On 29 okt 2004, at 16:28, Marius Kjeldahl wrote:

> I'm trying to add more window positioning control to vlc. Typically,
> the http
> interface would receive a http request saying you want to put a window
> at
> posiiton x,y size w,h. This would then need to be communicated to the
> modules
> controlling window stuff (directx.c/events.c on Windows).
>
> I've been trying to understand the usage of variables (the
> var_Get/Set/Change
> kind) across various threads, but the hierarchy of thread instances
> makes
> this hard to do with my limited knowledge of how it all fits together.
>
> I have already managed to introduce a new variable (see the "nodeco"
> patch I
> submitted earlier) in the vout modules, and that works fine. The
> problem now,
> however, is that for window positioning PRIOR to creating the window,
> I need
> to store/modify those coordinates somewhere else until the video_output
> module actually need them.
>
> So for instance, if they are stored in the http module, what would be
> the
> easiest way to access that module from within the video_ouput module?
> Are
> there approaches that would be better, e.g. storing those "run-time"
> variables somewhere central, and if so, how could I access this
> "central
> place" from the different modules?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Marius Kjeldahl