[vlc-devel] Re: Multicast udp streaming from playlist - problems

Gildas Bazin gbazin at altern.org
Wed Sep 1 13:18:11 CEST 2004

On Wednesday 01 September 2004 12:35, Dermot McGahon wrote:

> >> The two main problems are:
> >>
> >> (1)  Crashes after a period of time. This can vary from between
> >>      forty minutes to four or five hours. The logs files with
> >>      "crash" in the filename should hopefully shed some light on
> >>      what happens just before the crash.
> >>

> > Could you try with a svn version ? (I'm afraid you'll be compeled to
> > compile it yourself, no linux nightely builds).
>
> I will try with svn.

The MPEG TS/PS demuxers have been entirely re-written so you really should.

> Any explanation of these errors which helps me avoid having to read all
> of the code would be appreciated :)
>
> I realise that once things get out of whack that follow-on errors might
not
> mean much.
>

> * libdvbpsi error (PSI decoder): TS discontinuity (received 10, expected
0)

>    Received 10 of what? This is probably the PAT. It's saying that it
>    can't read the PAT?

It's an allusion to the discontinuity counters in TS packets. If the demux
receives 2 consecutive packets with non-consecutive discontinuity counters,
then a packet was likely lost.

> * [00000229] main audio output warning: buffer is 204733 in advance,
> triggering downsampling
>
>    What is the 204733 measured in? Microseconds?
Yes.
>    What does the downsampling achieve? A/V sync?
Yes.

> * [00000223] mpeg_system input warning: packet lost by TS demux for PID
> 2317: current 7,
>    packet 0
>    [00000223] mpeg_system input warning: packet corrupted, PES sizes do
not
> match
>    [00000226] mpeg_audio decoder debug: emulated startcode (no startcode
on
> following frame)
>    [00000223] mpeg_system input warning: packet lost by TS demux for PID
> 257: current 10,
>    packet 13
>

>     What does current 7 refer to?
Again, I think it refers to the discontinuity counter.

>     Should the PES packets all be the same size?
Not necessarily but the size of the PES packet is coded in the PES header so
we can detect a mismatch between the expected size and the real size.

>     The stream seems altogether wrong at this point, to state the
>     obvious.
It does look like it.

>    [00000229] main audio output warning: computed PTS is out of range
> (97213), clearing out
>    [00000229] main audio output warning: PTS is out of range (76676),
> dropping buffer
>    [00000229] main audio output warning: output PTS is out of range
> (110630), clearing out
>    [00000229] main audio output warning: PTS is out of range (19266),
> dropping buffer
>    [00000229] main audio output warning: PTS is out of range (-4692),
> dropping buffer
>    [00000229] main audio output warning: PTS is out of range (-28648),
> dropping buffer
>    [00000229] main audio output debug: audio output is starving (29236),
> playing silence
>

>     What are the output and input PTS?

It's something to do with the A/V sync, ie. mismatch between expected
playing time and current playing time.
This type of errors will be frequent if a stream is corrupted or if the
player doesn't receive the data in time for displaying.
This last problem can usually be solved by increasing the caching on the
client side (--udp-caching=value_in_miliseconds).

> *  [00000229] main audio output warning: PTS is out of range (33146699),
> dropping buffer
>     [00000223] mpeg_system input warning: packet lost by TS demux for PID
> 257: current 14,
>     packet 0
>     libdvbpsi error (PSI decoder): TS discontinuity (received 0, expected
> 15)
>     [00000223] mpeg_system input warning: packet lost by TS demux for PID
> 2315: current 3,
>     packet 8
>     [00000223] mpeg_system input warning: packet lost by TS demux for PID
> 2317: current 8,
>     packet 11
>     Killed
>     Mon Aug 30 17:38:27 IST 2004
>     [dermot at epia dermot]$
>
>     What could cause it to be killed?

Likely some corrupted data fed to the decoders.
Decoders are not supposed to crash on bad streams though, but it seems that
some of them are not error resilient enough.

--
Gildas