[vlc-devel] Re: Multicast udp streaming from playlist - problems

Derk-Jan Hartman hartman at videolan.org
Wed Sep 1 14:16:03 CEST 2004

On 01 sep 2004, at 13:18, Gildas Bazin wrote:
>>    [00000229] main audio output warning: computed PTS is out of range
>> (97213), clearing out
>>    [00000229] main audio output warning: PTS is out of range (76676),
>> dropping buffer
>>    [00000229] main audio output warning: output PTS is out of range
>> (110630), clearing out
>>    [00000229] main audio output warning: PTS is out of range (19266),
>> dropping buffer
>>    [00000229] main audio output warning: PTS is out of range (-4692),
>> dropping buffer
>>    [00000229] main audio output warning: PTS is out of range (-28648),
>> dropping buffer
>>    [00000229] main audio output debug: audio output is starving
>> (29236),
>> playing silence
>>

>>     What are the output and input PTS?
>>

> It's something to do with the A/V sync, ie. mismatch between expected
> playing time and current playing time.
> This type of errors will be frequent if a stream is corrupted or if the
> player doesn't receive the data in time for displaying.
> This last problem can usually be solved by increasing the caching on
> the
> client side (--udp-caching=value_in_miliseconds).

Or if it starts getting out of sync etc etc etc.
"Any discrepency between the expected timeline of the playback and the
actual timeline of the playback" might be the best description.
A lot of players are not really affecte by this, since they use the
decoded audio clock to sync, instead of the timestamps in the
file/stream.

>> *  [00000229] main audio output warning: PTS is out of range
>> (33146699),
>> dropping buffer
>>     [00000223] mpeg_system input warning: packet lost by TS demux for
>> PID
>> 257: current 14,
>>     packet 0
>>     libdvbpsi error (PSI decoder): TS discontinuity (received 0,
>> expected
>> 15)
>>     [00000223] mpeg_system input warning: packet lost by TS demux for
>> PID
>> 2315: current 3,
>>     packet 8
>>     [00000223] mpeg_system input warning: packet lost by TS demux for
>> PID
>> 2317: current 8,
>>     packet 11
>>     Killed
>>     Mon Aug 30 17:38:27 IST 2004
>>     [dermot at epia dermot]$
>>
>>     What could cause it to be killed?
>>

> Likely some corrupted data fed to the decoders.
> Decoders are not supposed to crash on bad streams though, but it seems
> that
> some of them are not error resilient enough.

Are you continuously playing back this stream via XV ?
There are lot's of potential problems with corrupted streams.

crashes in the decoder, crashes in chroma conversion modules trying to
convert broken partly decoded stuff. Hell, i'v seen the Xvideo crash
once in a while on stuff like this.

to eliminate as many things as you can... try
vlc -I dummy -V dummy -A dummy -vvv

to launch vlc without any useful output whatsoever.
This will only have the input, demux and the decoder
And indeed using SVN might help in this. for me the new mpeg modules
have been much more stable/ fault tolerant.

DJ

---
Universiteit Twente
Derk-Jan Hartman (d.hartman at student.utwente dot nl)