[vlc-devel] Re: Multicast udp streaming from playlist - problems

Dermot McGahon dermot at dspsrv.com
Wed Sep 1 15:19:13 CEST 2004

On Wed, 1 Sep 2004 14:16:03 +0200, Derk-Jan Hartman <hartman at videolan.org>
wrote:

>> Likely some corrupted data fed to the decoders.
>> Decoders are not supposed to crash on bad streams though, but it seems
>> that some of them are not error resilient enough.

I'm not sure what was causing the corrupt stream, but I think
I know now what was causing the process to be killed. Swap was
incorrectly set up, so in effect there was no swap enabled.

I am retesting now with swap enabled.

> Are you continuously playing back this stream via XV ?

It's continuously streaming and the video output is XV. The
source is from a satellite dish, through a  Philips Semiconductors
SAA7146 dvb chipset, and being streamed with dvbstream.

> There are lot's of potential problems with corrupted streams.
>
> crashes in the decoder, crashes in chroma conversion modules trying to
> convert broken partly decoded stuff. Hell, i'v seen the Xvideo crash
> once in a while on stuff like this.
>
> to eliminate as many things as you can... try
> vlc -I dummy -V dummy -A dummy -vvv

Ok, good advice. It looks like this problem was the swap not
being enabled, but I'll remember this for the future.

> to launch vlc without any useful output whatsoever.
> This will only have the input, demux and the decoder
> And indeed using SVN might help in this. for me the new mpeg modules
> have been much more stable/ fault tolerant.

I will definitely switch to using SVN. Especially if I'm going
to be changing livedotcom.cpp

Thanks again to all who replied.

I have a stream that causes the jumps during channel change. I
will now grab a stream that doesn't jump for comparison and
upload them somewhere accessible.

Dermot.