[vlc-devel] Re: Multicast udp streaming from playlist - problems

Gildas Bazin gbazin at altern.org
Wed Sep 1 15:06:33 CEST 2004

On Wednesday 01 September 2004 14:16, Derk-Jan Hartman wrote:

> > Likely some corrupted data fed to the decoders.
> > Decoders are not supposed to crash on bad streams though, but it seems
> > that
> > some of them are not error resilient enough.
>
> Are you continuously playing back this stream via XV ?
> There are lot's of potential problems with corrupted streams.
>
> crashes in the decoder, crashes in chroma conversion modules trying to
> convert broken partly decoded stuff. Hell, i'v seen the Xvideo crash
> once in a while on stuff like this.

I doubt the chroma conversion or Xv plugin would crash because of corrupted
streams... there is afaik only one case where the Xv plugin could crash...
it's when the mpeg2 decoder plugin decodes a corrupted/invalid sequence
header and creates an insanely high resolution video output because of a
messed up size in the header. You could argue that it is the fault of the
decoder though because it didn't do any sanity check there.

--
Gildas