[vlc-devel] Re: vlc_meta.h

R. Bernstein rocky at panix.com
Sat Sep 4 18:13:44 CEST 2004

=?iso-8859-15?Q?Cl=E9ment?= Stenac writes:
 > I would say that what must go in the "Meta-information" category, ie
 > what is added through the vlc_meta system must remain very generic.
 > (title, author, artist, ... )
 >
 > So I think the 2nd solution is the right one.

Should have also then mentioned if it wasn't implied before.  A
downside is that if one goes with this approach first some of the
categories almost but don't quite fit, and in other cases they match
multiply. So to be complete one needs *document* what each mapping is
supposed means. What is the "author" of a CD?  Is it the Performer,
Songwriter, Composer in CD-Text terms? And for CDDB which of *those*
fields would it be? Is the "title" of a VCD the title of the specific
set in a Volume or the Volume.

One can make arbitrary choices, or even let a user specify which
he/she want's to be the "Title". What I did in the xine plugin, was
let a user customize any field to anything they wanted (since there
were only a few fields allowed.) But then in a sense, the fields could
have just as easily have been called "Field 1", "Field 2" and one
could let users decide how many fields they want to be shown, what
attribution to give to each and what to put in it.

 > If you need/want to add more info (full CDDB info, VCD Id, ...) that
 > don't fit into the meta system, create a new info category for the item.

The cdda/access plugin has been committed. Feel free to add such categories.