[vlc-devel] Re: capturing pause, forward and rewind signals

Dermot McGahon dermot at dspsrv.com
Tue Sep 7 13:04:17 CEST 2004

On Tue, 7 Sep 2004 09:29:34 +0200, Laurent Aimar <fenrir at via.ecp.fr> wrote:

>  Pause is already send to livedotcom.cpp( in Control, look for
> DEMUX_SET_PAUSE_STATE), and I tried to add support for it, but it
> doesn't work well. The main problem is that in the next play (to
> unpause) you have to send the current position, and it isn't computed.
> (I haven't checked if live.com provides it or not).

You have to send the current position. I don't think this is available
in live.com

If this isn't currently stored within vlc, storing it will be a
pre-requisite to getting the resume part of pause and resume working.

I can have a look at this.

>  Vlc doesn't support rewind. And for forward it would be pretty easy to
> send a message to the demuxer if you need it (the same way that for
> pause).

For some vod servers, you send another PLAY command with a header which
indicates you want 12x speed for example (for forward), or -12x speed
(for rewind). If the vod server, from that point on, only sends vlc
selected frames (I suspect it only sends I-frames from that point, but
what is that likely to do to the bandwidth requirements), wouldn't
vlc play them just fine. It would basically be MJPEG.

Dermot.