[vlc-devel] Re: Fedora Test Version RPM

Torsten Spindler spindler at hbt.arch.ethz.ch
Mon Sep 20 11:51:44 CEST 2004

On Mon, 2004-09-20 at 09:09, Gildas Bazin wrote:
> Here is the configure line I would recommend using:
>
> ./configure --host=i686-redhat-linux-gnu --build=i686-redhat-linux-gnu
> --target=i386-redhat-linux-gnu --program-prefix= --prefix=/usr
> --exec-prefix=/usr --bindir=/usr/bin --sbindir=/usr/sbin
> --sysconfdir=/etc --datadir=/usr/share --includedir=/usr/include
> --libdir=/usr/lib --libexecdir=/usr/libexec --localstatedir=/var
> --sharedstatedir=/usr/com --mandir=/usr/share/man

There's no /usr/com on FC2, RH9 or RHEL3. Can't remember having seen
this directory on any Red Hat system. What does vlc store there?

> --infodir=/usr/share/info --enable-release
> --enable-dvdread --enable-dvdnav
> --enable-dvbpsi --enable-v4l
> --enable-ffmpeg --with-ffmpeg-tree=/usr/src/ffmpeg

Most likely there will be no ffmpeg source tree in /usr/src/ffmpeg by
default. Which snapshot of ffmpeg cvs should be used with 0.8? I
currently just grab the latest ffmpeg cvs, install it and link to that
with my home made rpms. Surprisingly it works most times ...

> --enable-flac --enable-theora --enable-mad --enable-faad
> --enable-aa --enable-caca
> --enable-dvb --enable-pvr --enable-livedotcom

The livedotcom tree seems to be missing.

> --enable-alsa --enable-esd --enable-arts
> --enable-fribidi --enable-freetype
> --enable-wxwindows --enable-ncurses --enable-lirc --enable-mozilla

What approach is recommended for 0.8 rpms:
1) Include live.com sources and ffmpeg snapshot sources and build it
before vlc. Then link vlc static with these versions.
2) Use external RPMs for both of either one. I think there's no live.com
RPM around though.

Jason, I have a couple of boxes running RHEL3 and RH9 and I'd like to
adapt your official 0.8 spec for use on these. Further I think it would
be good to provide a yum or apt repository for the official VLC Red Hat
and Fedora vlc RPMs. I've set this up locally for my home made RPMs and
it really makes installing vlc on a fresh Fedora or Red Hat system
easier.

Bye,
Torsten