[vlc-devel] Re: Proposals and questions

Gildas Bazin gbazin at altern.org
Mon Apr 4 15:24:23 CEST 2005

On Monday 04 April 2005 12:53, Clément Stenac wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Here are some proposals and questions for 0.8.3
>
> I: Per-instance variables
> -------------------------
>
> Except for stream output, we only use global configuration variables,
> like logo-file for example. This is not optimal when you can have
> several instances of the object that uses this variable.
>
> Typical example is for filters, if you want to have two logos, you
> simply can't.
>
> The proposal is to be able to add instance configuration values to
> module types of variables, like sout does.
>
> Examples :
>
> --filter logo{file=one.png},logo{file=two.png}
> --sub-filter marq{marquee="text1"},time,marq{marquee="text2"}
>
> For this, we would need to unify all modules chains/lists parsing
> functions and add variable setting capabilities to them.

Agreed. I've actually wanted to do this for a long time but as for many
things I didn't find the motivation to do it.

It is also very handy for modules which share an equivalent versions of a
config option (eg. --foo-caching for access modules). That allows one to
use a common naming in an MRL even though they will map to different config
options depending on the module specified (eg.
file{caching=500}:///yourfile).

As for the implementation details, the way the stream output parses and maps
the option strings is a bit overcomplicated. Namely it forces you to
declare the list of options a second time while the information from the
module config section should be re-useable. Equally the explicit call to
sout_CfgParse() could be hidden in a common location.
Basically I think implementing the proposed options parsing could be done
all transparently by only modifying the module_Need() code.

--
Gildas