[vlc-devel] Re: Proposals and questions

Derk-Jan Hartman hartman at videolan.org
Mon Apr 4 16:04:29 CEST 2005

On 04 apr 2005, at 13:53, Clément Stenac wrote:
> Here are some proposals and questions for 0.8.3
>
> I: Per-instance variables
> -------------------------

I don't really have much to say on this. I usually personally solve
this by sending my variables to the specific higher objects they are
connected (for instance with vouts) and have these handle my action by
setting the proper variable. Since the higher level object (vout
window) knows which lower level object belongs to it (vout), the
correct variable instance is called (fullscreen, float on top, etc)

This however requires you to bypass "automatic" menu generation.

For me the vout instance is pretty much the only object affected with
these issues, and for me it's not so much a problem yet.

> II: RC/RTCI/Telnet interfaces
> -----------------------------
> Quite a mess here.
> This proposal is not new here : merge these interfaces.

I concur
telnet, rc, rtci, they all do the same, but in different input/output
modes. they can be merged with ease.
Hmm, perhaps even the http control interface can be integrated in
this???????

> Commands are "vlm" (VLMCallback), "play" (PlaybackCallback), "stop"
> (PlaybackCallback) and "exit" (ExitCallback).
>
> The goal is that you can use "vlm setup foo bar" or "vlm" to "enter vlm
> mode" and then "setup foo bar". To get out of vlm mode, you have to
> type
> exit (IOS-like syntax).

Isn't this a bit over the top?
I don't really see the need for "descending" into specific stuff. It
adds code complexity. It's also asking for trouble with possible
external interfaces. Think of the case where a command is first top
level and in a next release becomes "descendable". That's asking for
getting stuck in "acommand"- mode. KISS is the key for these interfaces
if you ask me.
eyecanc

"vlm setup foo bar" is good enough for me.
"vlm" could show "help vlm" perhaps in case of such a "submenu command
thingie" or "vlm status" perhaps.

> Each command also features a right level. Users could be defined
> (login + hashed pwd + access level) in a configuration file.

that would be nice indeed.

> Another thing that would be appreciable is an option for
> machine-readable or human-readable output (for easy interaction with
> other programs, though things like XML-RPC or SOAP might be better for
> this).

There definitely should be a way to read a load of info from VLC in an
easy format.
Many ppl have asked about vlc being able to read out Meta-Info, bitrate
info etc and output that into a format that can easily be scripted into
a Webdatabase  for instance.
It would be a nice addition, but the implementation might just be a
little bit more for 0.8.4
However, what is important that at least we consider outputting stuff
like this in the design. That we don't need to redesign all over when
we want to tackle this issue.

Of course we have plenty of other stuff to do :)
http://developers.videolan.org/vlc/tabletodo.html
But the above mentioned things are quite important I think.

DJ

---
Universiteit Twente
Derk-Jan Hartman (d.hartman at student.utwente dot nl)