[vlc-devel] Re: Proposals and questions

Olivier Aubert oaubert at bat710.univ-lyon1.fr
Mon Apr 4 16:35:56 CEST 2005

Just my .02 euros here (warning, strongly biased content, and I am
mostly repeating myself from a similar thread), related to the rc/rtci
proposal. Instead of implementing a whole new language, why not just use
an existing one and extend it with VLC capabilities ? Python is easy to
extend and embedd, so it looks like an interesting target. Incidentally,
I already implemented a python-vlc module (very different from the basic
one that sits in the vlc tree), which implements on the one hand the
MediaControl.idl API (also used by the CORBA module) and on the other
hand a low-level access to the vlc objects (ability to find objects, to
get/set config options and object variables, etc).

With the adequate environment (the ipython interactive shell), you get
history, completion, etc. It would be easy to extend the current module
with new objects (vlm interpreter, etc). You can find an example
interaction session, as well as the code of the module, at the end of
http://liris.cnrs.fr/advene/download/index_en.html

This proposes a more flexible and powerful approach than the rc/rtci
interface, so that rc/rtci functionality is kept very basic, and more
interactive functionalities are implemented elsewhere. And you get a
real programing language for free (with control structures, variables,
various other modules, etc). Of course, some will say that it is at the
cost of overbloating, but I do not think it is that much compared to the
flexibility it offers.

I am open to any comments or suggestions about it.

Olivier