[vlc-devel] Re: Proposals and questions

Derk-Jan Hartman hartman at videolan.org
Mon Apr 4 17:36:16 CEST 2005

On 04 apr 2005, at 16:35, Olivier Aubert wrote:
> Just my .02 euros here (warning, strongly biased content, and I am
> mostly repeating myself from a similar thread), related to the rc/rtci
> proposal. Instead of implementing a whole new language, why not just
> use
> an existing one and extend it with VLC capabilities ? Python is easy to
> extend and embedd, so it looks like an interesting target.
> Incidentally,
> I already implemented a python-vlc module (very different from the
> basic
> one that sits in the vlc tree), which implements on the one hand the
> MediaControl.idl API (also used by the CORBA module) and on the other
> hand a low-level access to the vlc objects (ability to find objects, to
> get/set config options and object variables, etc).
>
> With the adequate environment (the ipython interactive shell), you get
> history, completion, etc. It would be easy to extend the current module
> with new objects (vlm interpreter, etc). You can find an example
> interaction session, as well as the code of the module, at the end of
> http://liris.cnrs.fr/advene/download/index_en.html
>
> This proposes a more flexible and powerful approach than the rc/rtci
> interface, so that rc/rtci functionality is kept very basic, and more
> interactive functionalities are implemented elsewhere. And you get a
> real programing language for free (with control structures, variables,
> various other modules, etc). Of course, some will say that it is at the
> cost of overbloating, but I do not think it is that much compared to
> the
> flexibility it offers.

This isn't about seeking an alternative.
It's about unifying different interfaces.

the language is not really important as long as it is intuitif for both
commandline users and external programmatic control. We don't want to
force users into a python dependancy if they don't want to.

Also the python module seems more a programming environment I think
than a control environment, which is still the primary function of the
rc/rtci/telnet modules.

DJ

---
Universiteit Twente