[vlc-devel] Decoding H.264

Erik Hellerud erik-list at kladd.net
Mon Apr 11 13:38:25 CEST 2005

Hi

I'm trying to stream H.264 with VLC. When I have an entire frame in the
NAL unit everything works great, but when I try to divide each frame
into more NAL units decoding doesn't work. If I play it back locally
with VLC there's no problems, so I think it should work with streaming to.

What I'm wondering about is how the NAL unit is supposed to be sent to
the decoder. The way I'm doing it now is taking the complete NAL unit
and adding startcodes before it (0x00 0x00 0x01), but this doesn't work
when the NALU doesnt contain an entire frame.. I thought this would
work, since the NALU's are supposed to be independent

Do I need to buffer up the NALU's and send it when I get all the units
which belongs to one frame?

BTW: I'm only using livedotcom.cpp, should I look somewhere else?

Regards

Erik Hellerud