[vlc-devel] Re: Decoding H.264

Sigmund Augdal sigmunau at stud.ntnu.no
Mon Apr 11 13:55:57 CEST 2005

On Mon, Apr 11, 2005 at 01:38:25PM +0200, Erik Hellerud wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm trying to stream H.264 with VLC. When I have an entire frame in the
> NAL unit everything works great, but when I try to divide each frame
> into more NAL units decoding doesn't work. If I play it back locally
> with VLC there's no problems, so I think it should work with streaming to.
>
> What I'm wondering about is how the NAL unit is supposed to be sent to
> the decoder. The way I'm doing it now is taking the complete NAL unit
> and adding startcodes before it (0x00 0x00 0x01), but this doesn't work
> when the NALU doesnt contain an entire frame.. I thought this would
> work, since the NALU's are supposed to be independent
>
> Do I need to buffer up the NALU's and send it when I get all the units
> which belongs to one frame?
>
> BTW: I'm only using livedotcom.cpp, should I look somewhere else?

vlc assumes that live.com gathers an entire frame before returning any data,
this is because this is the behaviour live.com is supposed to have according
to live.coms documentations. There is a quick trick to make vlc insert a
packetizer which should fix that, but assuming you have made changes to
live.com these changes should be fixed to work the way other codecs work
with live.com

Sigmund

> Regards
>
> Erik Hellerud