[vlc-devel] Design Query

Gautam Morey gautam.morey at gmail.com
Wed Apr 20 16:12:38 CEST 2005

Hi ,

I was just going through VLC's design structure and had this nagging question:

Why does one need to write a special demux for mpeg audio or video ,
mp4 audio and video rather than having it under the demux for PS or TS
. After all if mp3 is an MPEG standard and if you are reading from a
file , doesn't the demuxer for a PS stream become a direct
hierarchical choice ?

Also what happens then if I have mp3 in a TS stream ? Does it call the
mpga demux ? If it does then after having realised that it's an mp3
stream ,which ASFIK is a logic implemented in ps.c and ts.c why go
through all the redundancy again of checking for stream headers (ie
according to mpga.c ) ?

Also another interesting thing... I removed the file extension off an
ogg file and put a debug print in the mpga.c file . It so conforms
that vlc calls the mpga demux first and at some level when it gets a
return error decides to try out other available demuxes finally
finding ogg!
Could someone explain this to me please. How viable is doing the
stream type confirmation on the input side itself rather than after a
demux has been deployed .

It would also be of immense help if someone can direct me to VLC's
demux level design and whether its output for all the decoder modules
that follow is the same?

Really hoping for a reply !!
Thanks in advance.

Gautam