[vlc-devel] Re: MPEG2-TS closed caption support...

Brian Raymond braymond at echostorm.net
Sun Aug 14 05:23:44 CEST 2005

On Aug 13, 2005, at 6:53 PM, Derk-Jan Hartman wrote:

> On 13 aug 2005, at 22:57, Brian Raymond wrote:
>
>> I'm currently using VLC for handling the audio/video in MPEG-TS
>> streams, I also want to get at some CC data encoded in them. I
>> noticed ticket #77 (https://trac.videolan.org/vlc/ticket/77) in
>> trac, which discusses support. This looks like it's geared towards
>> input from video devices however based on what looking I've done
>> in VLC's code the demux modules would pull it out and some other
>> code would handling processing it.
>>

> Are we talking about EBU teletext DVB substream? or another DVB
> substream type? or in-video VBI data?
> There are many ways to transport this data. the first ones are
> easily retrievable. The data just needs to be extracted at the
> demux level (modules/demux/ts.c) and forwarded to a decoder. in
> video vbi data is really annoying in that you need to retrieve the
> CC from the mpeg2 decoder, and none of the mepg2 decoders currently
> support this as far as i know.

Thanks for the information.

I'm trying to track down the specific type right now, from what I've
looked at it should be a teletext substream so I'm working off that
assumption. I'm going to be dumping the stream to disk so I have some
test data but at the moment I don't. I'm diving into the demuxer
tonight to see what I come up with.