[vlc-devel] Re: MPEG2-TS closed caption support...

Derk-Jan Hartman hartman at videolan.org
Sun Aug 14 00:53:35 CEST 2005

On 13 aug 2005, at 22:57, Brian Raymond wrote:
> I'm currently using VLC for handling the audio/video in MPEG-TS
> streams, I also want to get at some CC data encoded in them. I
> noticed ticket #77 (https://trac.videolan.org/vlc/ticket/77) in
> trac, which discusses support. This looks like it's geared towards
> input from video devices however based on what looking I've done in
> VLC's code the demux modules would pull it out and some other code
> would handling processing it.

Are we talking about EBU teletext DVB substream? or another DVB
substream type? or in-video VBI data?
There are many ways to transport this data. the first ones are easily
retrievable. The data just needs to be extracted at the demux level
(modules/demux/ts.c) and forwarded to a decoder. in video vbi data is
really annoying in that you need to retrieve the CC from the mpeg2
decoder, and none of the mepg2 decoders currently support this as far
as i know.

> In my case I want to dump the CC to a pipe so that some other app
> can pick it up as an input stream.
> I want to tackle adding this support so I wanted to check to see if
> anyone has done any work with CC support? I'd also appreciate any
> pointers anyone could share.

DJ