[vlc-devel] Re: vlc: svn commit r12215 (massiot)

Remi Denis-Courmont courmisch at via.ecp.fr
Thu Aug 18 08:59:22 CEST 2005

On Jeu 18 août 2005 8:45, Clément Stenac a écrit :
> The only drawback here is that when you ask for a complete make (make in
> a subdirectory or make with a specific target won't invoke it),

I have been trying to fix these problems and speed up the build, by e.g.
fixing the lame dependencies on automatically built headers, fixing the
unnecessary complexity in vlc-config --target, etc.

Linking the whole VLC is slow, and recompiling one file + relinking at
every make is a severe breakage of the ideas behind make.

Also, there's hardly any point in having the SVN revision in binaries.
Besides, it is conceptually broken given there is no SVN revision number
in tarballs, and that's what binaries are supposed to be built from.

All other versions infos (version numbers, compile host, flags, blabla)
are determined at configure time and need not cause a rebuild at every
make. That is, in my opinion, the right place to do it, and the place
where we've been doing it until now.

Finally, I couldn't check, but I'd suspect it breaks if you don't run
make/make all but use a more specific target.

> the update of the version file and its compilation, which approximately
> needs ... well, maybe 2 or 3 seconds on decent hardware.
                                          ^^^^^^

Yeah, decent as in VTHR or developer's laptops ??

--
Remi Denis-Courmont
http://www.simphalempin.com/home/