[vlc-devel] Re: vlc: svn commit r12215 (massiot)

Jean-Paul Saman jean-paul.saman at planet.nl
Sun Aug 21 09:58:11 CEST 2005

Remi Denis-Courmont wrote:

>On Jeu 18 août 2005 8:45, Clément Stenac a écrit :
>

>Also, there's hardly any point in having the SVN revision in binaries.
>Besides, it is conceptually broken given there is no SVN revision number
>in tarballs, and that's what binaries are supposed to be built from.
>
>All other versions infos (version numbers, compile host, flags, blabla)
>are determined at configure time and need not cause a rebuild at every
>make. That is, in my opinion, the right place to do it, and the place
>where we've been doing it until now.

Having the svn revision number in the build is very convenient for me.
It allows for a better control and determination of run-time problems
with the intermediate release I do almost every week to my customer.
Yes, customer. Somebody is paying me to tune VLC for use in their
product. They report problems to me. Currently in 0.8.1-jpsaman-thedj
branch I use datestamps in the configure.ac, which are a bit akward. It
clusters up the archive with useless checkins. I am sure people noticed
that ;-)

That is however not the only situation where having the exact version
number (and local modification flag) is usefull. The VideoLAN project
also has some very active testers at the moment. The y regularly find
problems (bug, regression) and the only thing the can say now is that it
was in the svn-trunk of last night. Which is too coarse grained to
actually quickly determine which revision introduced it. Having the
revision number (and local modification flag) in VLC logging output
gives us exactly the information we need to find the exact status of the
archive which gave the problem. If the tester also knows in which
revision it was working, then we can focus on the intermediate version.
According to me this information is needed, because it gives more
control and information about the status of an intermediate build.

Kind greetings,
Jean-Paul Saman.