[vlc-devel] Re: vlc: svn commit r12294 (courmisch)

Sam Hocevar sam at zoy.org
Mon Aug 22 11:51:17 CEST 2005

On Mon, Aug 22, 2005, Remi Denis-Courmont wrote:

> Now, maybe it did work after you made the switch to the autotools, but it
> was obviously not maintained, and non-working for at least the past 18
> months, until I, then xtophe, commited a bunch of fixes (with some
> debugging from gibalou).
>
> Also, then why aren't there builddir before ALL targets except the few
> that are in srcdir ?

   It seems to me that an overwhelming majority of shell commands use
builddir. If you spotted exceptions, they should probably fixed, but
where are they?

> Anyone who has been playing with the Makefile files
> are built in builddir - that doesn't actually make it any more clear. And
> you DO know too.

   Sorry, I could not parse that at all.

> And finally, if you are not happy that other people are now doing
> build-system maintenance, while it has been your stuff for ages, that is
> your own problem to deal with. It's not our fault if you do not have so
> much time to dedicate to VLC than you had in the past.

   I am sorry if you think "build-system maintenance" means that you
can break the trunk whenever you feel like committing your obviously
untested changes.

   It is true that I am not giving VLC as much time as I would like to,
but you may have noticed that I am still the maintainer of the Debian
package, and as such I need the build system to work.

> Bullying youngsters like me might be OK (though not from a moral
> standpoint in any case) if there actually were a lots of people involved
> at the moment.

   Do not play the victim when at the same time you make patronising
remarks to those who question your changes. Your involvement in the
development has reached a point where you can no longer hide behind a
"yougster" label when you do mistakes.

> Alas, with Laurent, Gildas and yourself seemingly much less
> dedicated than you all used to be, VideoLAN is severely short of people.

   Then your constant breaking of the build system is not the way to
keep the few remaining people, especially the porters. Also, it had not
occurred to me that changing the build system was VLC's most needed fix.

--
Sam.