[vlc-devel] Re: how to make VLC VOD server stream content over UDP and not RTP

Marian Durkovic md at bts.sk
Sat Dec 3 09:47:39 CET 2005

Hi,

On Fri, Dec 02, 2005 at 11:03:24PM +0530, MRUKANT POPAT wrote:
> When rtsp player makes rtsp request the VOD server send MP2TS over RTP
> packets.

This is exactly the same situation as in the example with the BitBand server
you've provided in your last email:

                        %%%%%%IMPORTANT START%%%%%%%%
Media Description, name and address (m): video 0 RTP/AVP 33
Media Type: video
Media Port: 0
Media Proto: RTP/AVP
Media Format: MPEG-II transport streams
Media Attribute (a): rtpmap:33 MP2T/90000

> I want the server to send packets over UDP.

Please note, that raw UDP transport is not suitable for multimedia delivery
over IP networks, since it's not able to correctly handle standard situations
(packet reordering/duplication).

Therefore I'd recommend to always use RTP unless you have a very specific
problem which can't be resolved in any other way - e.g. a set-top-box which
does not understand MPEG-TS over RTP.

	With kind regards,

		M.

----   Marian Durkovic                       network  manager         ----