[vlc-devel] Re: vlc: svn commit r13518 (courmisch)

Rémi Denis-Courmont rem at videolan.org
Sun Dec 4 18:38:24 CET 2005

Le Dimanche 4 Décembre 2005 18:17, Marian Durkovic a écrit :
>   Enabling this automatically for everyone using SAP is probably not
> the way to go - many users don't need it,
                  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Err, SAP is mostly if not only used to advertise multicast streams. By
definition, these are real-time streams, that's pretty the case for
timeshift.

Currently, timeshifting can only be enabled from the Open network
dialog, which nobody sane uses. And putting it straight in the playlist
would be way too overkill since the amount of multicast users within
the VLC users community is neglectible. As such, there are about only
two options : enable it in the service discovery (SAP) or in the access
(UDP) itself.

I have heard many users complain about this (in fact, they thought VLC
doesn't support timeshifting at all).

It is not the user job to tell VLC if it may have to timeshift in the
future. So we really should enable timeshifting automatically for live
streams. Some people also suggested we should do the same for the
record filter (given/provided it does only start recording on demand).

> it uses additional resorces

That is most often neglectible. For the very few case where it might not
be (embedded systems if any), you can disable the option anyway.

> and I'm afraid it's not compatible with refclock adjustments via
> delta_cr (which means that after finite amount of time we'll either
> have buffer underruns or overruns).

Is that a timeshift bug or a delta_cr bug... ?

If both are incompatible by design, then delta_cr is probably broken. If
it's merely the fact that the timeshift filter fails to record receive
timestamps, then I suppose it ought to save that information in the
next release. timeshifting can then be disabled by default for 0.8.4a.

http://www.simphalempin.com/home/