[vlc-devel] Re: vlc: svn commit r13518 (courmisch)

Marian Durkovic md at bts.sk
Mon Dec 5 09:22:42 CET 2005

On Sun, Dec 04, 2005 at 06:38:24PM +0100, R?mi Denis-Courmont wrote:
> Err, SAP is mostly if not only used to advertise multicast streams. By
> definition, these are real-time streams, that's pretty the case for
> timeshift.

Yes, it's of course "nice to have" feature for advanced users, but it does
not mean that everyone ultimately needs it.
And IMHO timeshifting is certainly not worth breaking 0.8.4a

> > it uses additional resorces
>
> That is most often neglectible. For the very few case where it might not
> be (embedded systems if any), you can disable the option anyway.

It depends..  Once it starts R/W operations to the disk at DVD rate
(10 Mbps) or HDTV rate (20 Mpbs) the impact is not that low.

> > and I'm afraid it's not compatible with refclock adjustments via
> > delta_cr (which means that after finite amount of time we'll either
> > have buffer underruns or overruns).

> Is that a timeshift bug or a delta_cr bug... ?

Not sure, but it needs some investigation and heavy testing. Therefore I'd
suggest to have it disabled by default for now.

	With kind regards,

		M.