[vlc-devel] Re: vlc: svn commit r13518 (courmisch)

Rémi Denis-Courmont rem at videolan.org
Mon Dec 5 09:55:55 CET 2005

Le Lundi 5 Décembre 2005 09:22, Marian Durkovic a écrit :
> Yes, it's of course "nice to have" feature for advanced users,

Digital VCR support timeshifting for the average TV watcher. That's not
really what I call an advanced user. Most of our users are watching TV,
and we can't expect them to enable timeshifting with "vlc.exe
--access-filter timeshift", yet they want the feature.

> but it does not mean that everyone ultimately needs it.

Yeah, but if you use SAP discovery, you most likely watch real-time
channels, so it makes sense to enable timeshifting anyway.

Do VCR ask their users if they intend to possibly use timeshifting when
they start watching a TV channel ? No - it is ready to use it anytime.
So why would VLC ask its users that question ?

> And IMHO timeshifting is certainly not worth breaking 0.8.4a

> > That is most often neglectible. For the very few case where it
> > might not be (embedded systems if any), you can disable the option
> > anyway.
>
> It depends..  Once it starts R/W operations to the disk at DVD rate
> (10 Mbps) or HDTV rate (20 Mpbs) the impact is not that low.

Let's face it. Any UDMA hard drive supports R/W at 3 Mo/s, and any
Pentium II will have UDMA, while its CPU may have difficulties decoding
the DVD in real time, and will definitely not be able to decode HDTV.

Also it's not because timeshift and/or record are loaded that they are
enabled/writing on disk.

http://www.simphalempin.com/home/