[vlc-devel] Re: vlc: svn commit r13518 (courmisch)

Rémi Denis-Courmont rem at videolan.org
Tue Dec 6 13:01:27 CET 2005

Le Lundi 5 Décembre 2005 22:38, Jonas A. Larsen a écrit :
> Im probably naïve, but isn’t it enough to simply save the data u
> receive in a file?

That's what the record filter does. The problem is that it starts on
demand rather than from the beginning, so that the file header is lost,
and most commun encapsulation methods need some kind of header to work.
MPEG-TS is a notable ad-hoc exception, as it meant to be used for
digital TV.

> Like a sort of raw dump? It might get a few
> corrupt frames initially but after the first keyframe it should work
> for most formats? I seem to remember a chain to a raw file worked for
> most formats, couldn’t a module be made that did something similar?

No. One must either save the file from the beginning, which is not
acceptable in many cases, or implement some kind of context save/load
functionality in the demuxers plugin that would allow these to
communicate start reading a file from the middle without re-reading its
beginning (which would have been lost).

http://www.simphalempin.com/home/