[vlc-devel] Re: [RFC] Removal of automake maintainer mode

Sam Hocevar sam at zoy.org
Tue Dec 6 13:05:46 CET 2005

On Mon, Dec 05, 2005, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote:

> Many of us have come through various frustrations with the build system
> involving automake failure to rebuild Makefile properly or similar
> issues.
>
> I suppose that is due to the AM_MAINTAINER_MODE macro that was added
> some time ago. I hereby suggest it be removed. Anyone ?

   If you do that, you had better provide an alternate way to disable the
maintainer mode. Hint: in the current situation, you can enable it with
--enable-maintainer-mode, which probably solves all the frustration you
may have met.

   By the way, the only safe way to ensure that the makefiles are
properly generated is a new bootstrap+configure run. Relying on make to
properly rebuild them is a behaviour best lost.

--
Sam.