[vlc-devel] Re: [RFC] Removal of automake maintainer mode

Sam Hocevar sam at zoy.org
Tue Dec 6 13:13:47 CET 2005

On Mon, Dec 05, 2005, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote:
> Though I have not tried, running configure with --enable-maintainer-mode
> should also fix this, but that's not very practical.

   How is it not very practical? I hope you understand that you are
suggesting complete removal of a feature useful to others simply because
you do not want to disable it conditionally (which I can only ascribe to
laziness).

> In fact, guy behind MAINTAINER_MODE itself stopped using it (see §26.2.2
> from the automake documentation).

   And countless developers still use it for want of a better solution.
Feel free to improve the autotools.

--
Sam.