[vlc-devel] Plugin exiting caused by live555.com

Cian Cullinan cian.cullinan at gmail.com
Tue Dec 13 19:40:39 CET 2005

Hey folks, not really sure whether to post this one here, or on the
live555.com devel list, but I think Ross may read this list too.
I have a stream playing from a locally running DSS,
rtsp://localhost/cartoons.sdp.
In DSS language, this is a "playlist". A collection of mp4 files that
play one after another in a loop, and appear to the viewer as a live
stream.
Now when I play this stream from the command line everything works nicely:
$ vlc rtsp://localhost/cartoons

However, if I put the above in a local html file between embed tags
that looks something like:
<embed type="application/x-vlc-plugin"
         id="video1"
         name="video1"
         autoplay="no" loop="no" fullscreen="no"
         target="rtsp://localhost/cartoons.sdp" />
and play the stream through the VLC plugin in mozilla of firefox, then
the browser will crash after 10-60 seconds (roughly), with the last
line in the console being:
BasicTaskScheduler::SingleStep(): select() fails: Interrupted system call

This seems to come from the method BasicTaskScheduler::SingleStep in
the file BasicTaskScheduler.cpp in the live555.com libraries, and
means (from the man page) "A non blocked signal was caught".

Now I'm no C/C++ developer, but I did a very quick hack, and edited
the above function, so that when this signal was caught, instead of
exiting, the method attempts the select() again. This seems to have
fixed my problem!
However it's not really a proper solution to the problem. So I wanted
to ask people if they had any idea of:
1) What further things I can do to help track this down?
2) Where this signal is coming from?
3) Is it legitimate (given that VLC standalone does not seem to suffer from it)?
4) What the best way is to fix this.

Cian