[vlc-devel] Re: Type Of Service

Michael Ditum mike at mikeditum.co.uk
Fri Dec 16 18:40:07 CET 2005

On 12/12/05, Rémi Denis-Courmont <rem at videolan.org> wrote:
> Le Lundi 12 Décembre 2005 15:08, Michael Ditum a écrit :
> > Just a brief reminder about my patch now that 0.8.4 has been
> > released.
>
> IMHO, the TOS should rather be set to a predefined value by the calling
> plugin than set through a global shared setting for the ipv4 module.
> For instance, SAP should probably ask for Reliability, while most
> streaming outputs should set Low delay.
> The OpenSSH client already does that (set Low delay for remote shell and
> Throughput for file transfer).
Whilst I agree that it would be a good idea for the plugin to set the
TOS, it would also be very useful to be able to set it on the command
line. Could we not have the command line option for now and then the
ability of the plugin to set could be added later.

> Also, it should be noted that module/network/misc/ipv4.c is not the only
> place creating UDP sockets.
What other places are there? The only other one I could find was in
ipv6.c and I do not have an IPv6 network to test it on, or a huge
amount of knowledge on IPv6, so I decided not to implement it.

Mike