[vlc-devel] Re: The ActiveX control/plugin for IE. Requests/comments/bugs?

Damien Fouilleul damien.fouilleul at laposte.net
Fri Feb 4 11:12:20 CET 2005

Jonas Larsen wrote:

>Hi again
>
>After a bit more testing it seems the plugin actually work pretty bug free
>:)
>
>My main question atm is how to most easily distribute it? Most activeX
>control is know are automatically downloaded when u enter the page and
>installed on the end users pc. Can u do that with this control too? And if
>yes do you know how?

well, there's a bit of work involved, you will need to package up the
control in a CAB file, and have it signed by a Certificate company ($$$)
also, the control does not currently self-install (hence, the use of
axvlc.reg), but this can be easily fixed.

>Also it came up in the channel that it might be desirable to be able to have
>a version of the activex control where the plugins and necessary files was
>compiled into, so u wouldn't have to have vlc installed on the client
>already. Is this possible?

the activex control just uses libvlc (as VLC exe does), hence there is
always the possibility of compiling all modules as built-ins, rather
than plugins and make the control self-contained (but BIG !)