[vlc-devel] Localising to more languages

Simos Xenitellis simos74 at gmx.net
Fri Feb 11 10:35:29 CET 2005

Hi All,
During the last week I was involved in a training effort on localisation
and open-source software. As part of the practical session, we got the
participants to localise for their respective languages. I selected only
a dozen of very visible messages and I was wondering if it would be ok
to add to VLC now.

As far as I know, VLC uses wxWindows (wxWidgets), based on GTK2. I tried
the Linux version of VLC distributed by the DAG repository and I noticed
that it is somehow compiled against GTK1. This gives problems for
non-latin scripts.

The languages currently covered are:
- Hindi (hi)
- Pashto (ps)
- Burmese (my)
- Tetum (tet)
- Tagalog (tl)
- Bengali (bn)

In parenthesis are the ISO-632 language codes. Pashto is spoken in
Afghanistan, Burmese in Myanmar (AKA Burma), Tetum in East Timor,
Tagalog in the Philippines while Bengali in Bangladesh and India. Tetum
has a 3-letter code only (covered in ISO-639-2).

Following are a list of questions/requests compiled from the
localisation effort.

1. Could you please add the following languages to CVS?
a. Hindi (hi.po)
b. Pashto (ps.po)
c. Burmese (my.po)
d. Tetum (tet.po)
e. Tagalog (tl.po)
g. Bengali (bn.po)

2. There was a usability issue in the choosing of the current language
to show the application in. Currently, one need to set the variable
"LANG" to the language and restart the application.
Is it possible to choose from within the application which language to
activate?
In 7zip (http://www.7-zip.org/) one can change the language on the fly.
Would that be easy with VLC?

Many thanks for the excellent program,