[vlc-devel] Re: Localising to more languages

Sigmund Augdal sigmunau at stud.ntnu.no
Fri Feb 11 10:59:04 CET 2005

> 2. There was a usability issue in the choosing of the current language
> to show the application in. Currently, one need to set the variable
> "LANG" to the language and restart the application.
> Is it possible to choose from within the application which language to
> activate?
> In 7zip (http://www.7-zip.org/) one can change the language on the fly.
> Would that be easy with VLC?
I will answer only this question, and leave the other one to someone else.
You could also change the language in the preferences dialog. But it will
still require a restart of the application for the language change to take
effect. As far as I know no one has tried to implement on-the-fly language
change, but it has been on the todo-list for quite long. I fear that it will
be very difficult, and will require to rebuild many many structures. This I
fear will have impact on stability and flexibility of the program, and quite
frankly people should not need to change language more than once so I don't
think it is worth it.

As for the wxwindows question. Wxwindows can be compiled against both gtk1
and gtk2 as well as quite a few other gui toolkits (windows mac etc). As a
result of this wxwindows has a unicode mode and a non-unicode mode. Vlc
should handle both, and both should handle non-latin languages even though
there are known limitations for this in gtk1

Thanks for your effort

Sigmund

> Many thanks for the excellent program,
> Simos Xenitellis