[vlc-devel] Re: Localising to more languages

Rémi Denis-Courmont courmisch at via.ecp.fr
Fri Feb 11 11:11:25 CET 2005

 Hello,

Le Vendredi 11 Février 2005 10:35, Simos Xenitellis a écrit :
> During the last week I was involved in a training effort on
> localisation and open-source software. As part of the practical
> session, we got the participants to localise for their respective
> languages. I selected only a dozen of very visible messages and I was
> wondering if it would be ok to add to VLC now.

Excellent!

> As far as I know, VLC uses wxWindows (wxWidgets), based on GTK2. I
> tried the Linux version of VLC distributed by the DAG repository and
> I noticed that it is somehow compiled against GTK1. This gives
> problems for non-latin scripts.

That depends on the version of wxWidgets VLC is linked with. IIRC, with
version 2.4, you'll get gtk1, while you get gtk2 version 2.5. You might
consider asking Dag Wieers directly, or using another RPM package if
possible.

(...)
> 1. Could you please add the following languages to CVS?
> a. Hindi (hi.po)
> b. Pashto (ps.po)
> c. Burmese (my.po)
> d. Tetum (tet.po)
> e. Tagalog (tl.po)
> g. Bengali (bn.po)

Of course. Just download the vlc.pot, start translating and send the
result back to us, and we'll be more than happy to add it to the source
tree.

http://www.simphalempin.com/home/