[vlc-devel] AAC/HE-AAC/aacPlus Audio Streams - Icecast2

Greg J. Ogonowski greg at orban.com
Mon Jan 3 05:49:42 CET 2005

I have disabled Burst-on-Connect temporarily on this eval Icecast2 server
and verified that VLC Player works with this aacPlus stream:

<http://stream.orban.com:80/eval.aac>http://stream.orban.com:80/eval.aac

The stream mountpoint must be named with a .aac extension, otherwise VLC
Player is unable to determine the correct codec to use. As of Icecast2
Version 2.2, just released 21 December, the proper content type of
audio/aac can now be used, so it is no longer necessary or desirable to
rely on the .aac in the mountpoint name for VLC Player codec selection.

I notice that VLC Player seems to handle Burst-on-Connect just fine from
SHOUTcast servers.

Here is an example SHOUTcast aacPlus stream:

<http://sc1.abacast.com:8019>http://sc1.abacast.com:8019

Is there a major difference between the way VLC Player needs to handle
Icecast2 and SHOUTcast Burst-on-Connect streams?

Several other streams are listed here:

<http://www.opticodec.net>http://www.opticodec.net
http://www.tuner2.com

I hope that these two changes can be made to VLC Player in the near future.
I know the .aac should be fairly minor to fix, but Burst-on-Connect may be
a bigger problem to solve. Burst-on-Connect is a very good feature, and
works very well with Winamp for example.

Please let me know if you would like me to turn Burst-on-Connect back on.

Please also let me know if the streams play correctly on Linux and
Macintosh.  I have been unable to verify this 100%.  They are aacPlus
streams with 15kHz audio bandwidth, and with the proper SBR decoding should
play full 15kHz bandwidth, not 7.5kHz.
(I know RealPlayer Linux and Macintosh have this problem with RTSP aacPlus
streams.  RealPlayer Windows work OK.  VLC Player Windows also works OK.)

Thanks.
-greg.

Greg J. Ogonowski
VP Product Development