[vlc-devel] Re: AAC/HE-AAC/aacPlus Audio Streams - Icecast2

Gildas Bazin gbazin at altern.org
Wed Jan 5 23:05:58 CET 2005

On Monday 03 January 2005 05:49, Greg J. Ogonowski wrote:
> I have disabled Burst-on-Connect temporarily on this eval Icecast2 server
> and verified that VLC Player works with this aacPlus stream:
>
> <http://stream.orban.com:80/eval.aac>http://stream.orban.com:80/eval.aac
>
> The stream mountpoint must be named with a .aac extension, otherwise VLC
> Player is unable to determine the correct codec to use. As of Icecast2
> Version 2.2, just released 21 December, the proper content type of
> audio/aac can now be used, so it is no longer necessary or desirable to
> rely on the .aac in the mountpoint name for VLC Player codec selection.
>
> I notice that VLC Player seems to handle Burst-on-Connect just fine from
> SHOUTcast servers.
>
> Here is an example SHOUTcast aacPlus stream:
>
> <http://sc1.abacast.com:8019>http://sc1.abacast.com:8019
>
> Is there a major difference between the way VLC Player needs to handle
> Icecast2 and SHOUTcast Burst-on-Connect streams?

The problem here is that VLC's clock synchronisation algorithm is enabled
for Icecast2 streams (while it is disabled for SHOUTcast). The clock
synchro algo is based on the rate of the incoming data which won't work
correctly in the case of Burst-on-Connect streams.

This part of the code in VLC needs to be rewritten so this will hopefully be
fixed properly when the rewrite is done.

--
Gildas