[vlc-devel] Re: Possible GPL violation

Rémi Denis-Courmont courmisch at via.ecp.fr
Wed Jan 19 11:19:30 CET 2005

Le Mercredi 19 Janvier 2005 10:50, Christophe Massiot a écrit :
> I think the first thing we should do is to check that there is indeed
> a violation of the GPL. This should be done immediately.

It is a violation of the GPL. Their EULA not only does not include the
GPL, but it is a blatant violation thereof.

> Antoine (or anyone having downloaded the player) should send a mail
> (and at the same time an acknowledged letter in case the email remains
> unanswered) to the website provided the binary, asking to get the
> source for derived work of VLC, a program under the GPL.

It looks very much like it is made of unmodified repackaged binaries.

The vlc.exe and the four .dll plugins they provide namely are all an
UPX-compressed version of our official 0.7.2-win32 binaries. Just
uncompress them, and you get the same files bytes for bytes.

So, there's no point in asking them for sources really : we already have
the source code and we have already a GPL violation/copyright
infringement already.

http://www.simphalempin.com/home/