[vlc-devel] Re: Possible GPL violation

Christophe Massiot massiot at via.ecp.fr
Wed Jan 19 10:50:44 CET 2005

On Wed, Jan 19, 2005, Derk-Jan Hartman wrote:

> My suggestion is that we release a Press Release tomorrow and inform
> several large websites (slashdot.org, xvid.org, groklaw.net,
> freshnews.com, prweb.com, the FSF and OSI organisations at least) as
> well as send it to Cinama On the Web and DivX Networks.
>
> Stating that we suspect C.O.W. and *possibly* DivX networks might have
> infringed on our sources and violated in several ways the GPL licensing
> under which we release our code.

I think the first thing we should do is to check that there is indeed a
violation of the GPL. This should be done immediately. Antoine (or
anyone having downloaded the player) should send a mail (and at the same
time an acknowledged letter in case the email remains unanswered) to the
website provided the binary, asking to get the source for derived work
of VLC, a program under the GPL.

Then we must wait a few days for an answer. If there is none, or if it's
negative, then I know someone at FSF Europe who's already worked on
quite a few identical cases.

I don't see what benefit we might have in going public and aggressive
immediately.

--
Christophe Massiot.