[vlc-devel] Re: DVD Navigation

Greg Hosler vlc at amnesia.accessgate.com.sg
Thu Jan 20 10:02:19 CET 2005

On 19-Jan-2005 Benjamin PRACHT wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 19, 2005, Greg Hosler wrote :
>> Hi all,
>>
>> new user (of vlc), long time programmer, with occassional spare time.
>>
>> Just gave vlc a try. compiled everything from srpms on my RHEL3 system.
>> Tried
>> first Dag's sources (videolan-client-0.8.1-1), and then the vlc-0.8.1-2
>> src.rpm
>> from (I believe) a vlc mirror. (essentially the same libraries, though I
>> noticed that there was a different few library dependencies in the vlc one).
>>
>> essentially both are the same, and it's quite nice.
>>
>> one minor disappointment. DVD nagigation. I searched the archives, and one
>> mail
>> from Aug 2001 (http://www.via.ecp.fr/via/ml/vlc/2001-08/msg00109.html)
>> suggested that this was "planned for the near future". and another
>> (http://www.via.ecp.fr/via/ml/vlc/2001-08/msg00113.html) suggested that
>> vlc would "probably use the Ogle project's libdvdread, which does
>> full DVD navigation".
>>
>> What's the status of this effort ?
>>
>> I have some occassional free time. Long time programmer, great at debugging,
>> and willing to pitch in as and where I can.
>>

> Well, dvd menu support has been available since quite a lot of releases
> now, using the libdvdnav lib (libdvdplay at the beginning)...

maybe we're not talking about the same thing.

I am aware of the menu item that offers me "chapter" and "title".

I'm looking for the real DVD navigation, i.e. what you would see when you put
the DVD into a DVD player. *that* navigation menue is what I'm NOT seeing !

I'm under the impression that this isn't implemented yet. Is this not a correct
understanding ?

thanks, and best rgds,

-Greg