[vlc-devel] libcddax_plugin.so: undefined symbol: cdio_paranoia_modeset

R. Bernstein rocky at panix.com
Fri Jan 28 14:37:51 CET 2005

Because this may be a general problem for others, I'd be interested to
know how you got in this state.

1. Was configure regnerated and rerun?  (My guess is not)

2. If you ran configure did you add the option --enable-cddax? In
   contrast to before, default is *not* to build cddax or vcdx by
   default and I'd be interested to know if this is not working.

More detail below...

C.Y.M writes:
 > R. Bernstein wrote:
 > > You may have to do whatever the magic is to have Makefile and
 > > Makefile.in get recreated. In particular, your vlc-trunk/modules/access/cdda/ should have:
 > >
 > >   LIBCDIO_CFLAGS = @LIBCDIO_CFLAGS@
 > >   LIBCDIO_LIBS = @LIBCDIO_LIBS@
 > >   LIBCDIO_PARANOIA_CFLAGS = @LIBCDIO_PARANOIA_CFLAGS@
 > >   LIBCDIO_PARANOIA_LIBS = @LIBCDIO_PARANOIA_LIBS@
 > >   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
 >
 > Thank you for the good answer.  libcddax is definityly not pointing to
 > libparanoia.  My only question is how do I add the syntax above so it gets
 > incorporated into the Makefile and Makefile.in?  Does it go in Makefile.am?

The LIBCDIO_PARANOIA_LIBS line above (in
vlc-trunc/modules/access/cdda/Makefile.in) is tied in with this line
in configure.ac:

  PKG_CHECK_MODULES(LIBCDIO_PARANOIA, libcdio_paranoia >= 0.72, [
  VLC_ADD_LDFLAGS([cddax],[$LIBCDIO_CDDA_LIBS $LIBCDIO_PARANOIA_LIBS])],
  HAVE_CDDAX=no)

The way the code is supposed to work is that if you don't have a
version of libcdio >= 0.72 the cddax plugin shouldn't have attempted
to compile in paranoia support. I am given to believe from hartman's
last commit (thanks dj for removing the erroneous #include) that for
others *without* libcdio 0.72 things work. (I've tried testing this
myself too - even if I didn't do a perfect job a testing.)

My current guess is that probably configure didn't get recreated and
rerun. Was it? If not:

1.  I've seen this happen a bit before when plugins have gotten
    added/removed/moved. Gildas may have once suggested how to deal
    with this situation in response to my call for help and no doubt
    that's somewhere in the devel archives.

2.  If you can't find what to do in devel archives or whatever that is
    doesn't work (and configure wasn't recreated/rerun on its own) try
    running from vlc-trunk:

       autoconf
       ./configure --enable-cddax ...

3.  If 2 doesn't work there is always running ./bootstrap or even erasing
    the tree, checking out again staring out from scratch.