[vlc-devel] Re: Intergrating libVLC with real-time graphics library

Robert Osfield robert at openscenegraph.com
Fri Jan 28 15:13:57 CET 2005

On Friday 28 January 2005 12:37, you wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 28, 2005 at 12:25:31PM +0000, Robert Osfield wrote:
> Vlc allready have yuv to rgb conversion both in software and hardware on
> most platforms. I think it might even be usable as a command line app for
> converting files from yuv to rgb, provided you can come up with the correct
> incarnation to do that. But I might have misunderstood what you are talking
> about here.

When working with OpenGL you can't use the standard hardware acceleration of
colour space conversion so it has to be done on the CPU.  Under OSX there is
an YUV texture format which certainly seems to be hardware accelerated, at
least on some graphics cards.  However, this texture format does port to
other platforms as far as I'm aware.  This forces one to either use the CPU
to do the conversion or to use a fragment program to test it.

I'm keen to reduce the CPU overhead as much as possible as I'd like to throw a
number of high res videos at the system at once.  This raises the issue of
how well libVLC can run multiple video streams/files at one time.  I believe
this should possible, I'm I correct?

Robert.