[vlc-devel] Re: Intergrating libVLC with real-time graphics library

Sigmund Augdal sigmunau at stud.ntnu.no
Fri Jan 28 15:18:40 CET 2005

On Fri, Jan 28, 2005 at 02:13:57PM +0000, Robert Osfield wrote:
> On Friday 28 January 2005 12:37, you wrote:
> > On Fri, Jan 28, 2005 at 12:25:31PM +0000, Robert Osfield wrote:
> > Vlc allready have yuv to rgb conversion both in software and hardware on
> > most platforms. I think it might even be usable as a command line app for
> > converting files from yuv to rgb, provided you can come up with the correct
> > incarnation to do that. But I might have misunderstood what you are talking
> > about here.
>
> When working with OpenGL you can't use the standard hardware acceleration of
> colour space conversion so it has to be done on the CPU.  Under OSX there is
> an YUV texture format which certainly seems to be hardware accelerated, at
> least on some graphics cards.  However, this texture format does port to
> other platforms as far as I'm aware.  This forces one to either use the CPU
> to do the conversion or to use a fragment program to test it.
I see. VLC should be able to do that for you, it has fairly optimized
conversions available. VLC actually use this opengl trick to play optimized
video on osx, since the ordinary overlay-stuff don't work well there.

> I'm keen to reduce the CPU overhead as much as possible as I'd like to throw a
> number of high res videos at the system at once.  This raises the issue of
> how well libVLC can run multiple video streams/files at one time.  I believe
> this should possible, I'm I correct?
Vlc is very very modular, it will play several files at once, or files with
several video streams or audio streams on nearly any combination without
much problem.

Btw, do your system have positional audio? That would be very very cool, but
also it would require some modifications to vlcs audio output to support.