[vlc-devel] Delayed VLC reaction to commands

Yaro Pollak slava at plris.com
Thu Jul 7 12:36:03 CEST 2005

Hello guys,

I'm sorry in advance, perhaps what I'm asking is trivial but I wasn't able to figure it out.
My goal is to write a very specific interface through which I will control VLC from another application.
I've noticed however that in other interfaces (wxWindows or rc), whenever I issue a command, like Play, or Pause, there is a certain delay until that command is executed, about half a second. Since my goal is to be able to synchronize data with video played on VLC, this may pose a serious problem.
As far as I could tell (by hacking around in the code) the set_Var function returns pretty fast, and then it takes another 0.5 a sec to actually pause the video. From what I saw, set_Var should call all the callbacks before it returns. So the only thing I can think of that the callback just sets some variable which is being polled in the input plugin once in X milliseconds.

Please advice where does this delay originate, is there a way to avoid it, and is it applicable to all of the operations (like seeking).

Best of all,
Yaro