[vlc-devel] Re: vlc: svn commit r11754 (rocky)

R. Bernstein rocky at panix.com
Sat Jul 16 17:46:54 CEST 2005

R=C3=A9mi Denis-Courmont reports:
Le Samedi 16 Juillet 2005 17:38, Subversion daemon a =C3=A9crit :
> > r11754 | rocky | 2005-07-16 16:38:08 +0200 (Sat, 16 Jul 2005) | 4
> > lines Changed paths:
> >    M /trunk/configure.ac
> >
> > Clean up options and processing relating to libcdio, libvcdinfo,
> > cddax, and vcdx. Add libvcdinfo to wxwindows module if it is around.

> This change broke build on several platforms.

I'd be interested in more details. Perhaps we can work out how to
address.

> Is there any reason to check for version 0.73 ??

You mean 0.72. That was bumped so a separate CD paranoia check
wouldn't be needed. This configuration is already a bit involved. One
way to simplify it is to require a newer libcdio. (Which reminds me, I
read about 3 weeks ago that libcdio, vcdimager and libcddb tarballs
"this afternoon". Anyone know what's up and how to address?)

> Every thing run and compile with version 0.71 without problems.

If it is a simple matter of requiring only 0.71 I'll add that extra
check for 0.72 for cdparanoia support.

> Checking for a specific version is usually bad practice because many
> distribution backports fixes without updating version numbers because
> they only backport fixes and not new features.

I'm not sure I understand the logic here. libcdio 0.71 doesn't have CD
paranoia and libcdio 0.72 does. If one wants cdparanoia in the libcdio
audio CD plugin or any new feature for that matter added to a package,
then one has to check for the version number. That's why a version
number exists in the first place.