[vlc-devel] Re: vlc: svn commit r11754 (rocky)

Rémi Denis-Courmont courmisch at via.ecp.fr
Sat Jul 16 17:55:07 CEST 2005

Le Samedi 16 Juillet 2005 18:46, R. Bernstein a écrit :
> > Every thing run and compile with version 0.71 without problems.
>
> If it is a simple matter of requiring only 0.71 I'll add that extra
> check for 0.72 for cdparanoia support.

That would be good.
Debian has 0.71. It seems that the Windows build has it too.

> I'm not sure I understand the logic here. libcdio 0.71 doesn't have
> CD paranoia and libcdio 0.72 does. If one wants cdparanoia in the
> libcdio audio CD plugin or any new feature for that matter added to a
> package, then one has to check for the version number. That's why a
> version number exists in the first place.

I'm not aware of the specifics of libcdio ChangeLog.

But from my experience with gnutls, I can tell that it is not good to
rely on version numbers. At some point, I theoritically needed gnutls
>= 1.0.17 but it turned out that it would work on Debian with gnutls
1.0.16 because the change was backported. So I went for a feature check
rather than a version check.

http://www.simphalempin.com/home/