[vlc-devel] Re: authentication (login/password) on multicast

Benjamin Pracht bigben+spam at videolan.org
Mon Jul 25 10:44:21 CEST 2005

On Sun, Jul 24, 2005, tanveer wrote :
> Dear List,
>
> I'm a new member in this list.  So, I don't know,
> if I'm bringing the old topic back.  I searched
> in the archive and found 'this feature' is coming.
> I am just curious if it has been implemented.
>
> Ooo.. feature is: in VLC player, is there any
> functionality using which only authenticated users
> can access the streams from VLS / VLC??  If yes, it
> will be a great help if there is any
> manual/documentation.
>
> Or is there any work going on to introduce this
> feature??

Well, basic authentification has been supported by the http server
included in VLC for 2 years now... An alternative would be to use UDP
streaming and scrambling of the ts stream (which has also been available
for a while...) Both methods are described in the streaming howto
(http://www.videolan.org/doc/streaming-howto/en/ch03.html), in the
descriptions of the http access and ts mux modules.

--
BigBen