[vlc-devel] Re: firewire output & fb output

Derk-Jan Hartman hartman at videolan.org
Sun Jul 31 00:01:17 CEST 2005

On 30 jul 2005, at 22:54, Vaclav Koldus wrote:

>> Well, some frame buffer device drivers (such as the vesa one) are
>> actually
>> awfully slow... Which one are you using ? Do you get the same
>> issue with
>> other applications ?
>>

> Actualy I use the generic (vga?) fb driver and the strange thing is
> that mplayer on the same fb has no similar problems. It rund
> perfectly smooth. I tried to lower the resolution of fb (since the
> vlc resizes the video on the full screen and it was 1024x768) and
> it quietly helped (I'm not sure whether the framerate is full or
> there are some dropped frames.) But this sucks. I want to have
> 1024x768 console and monitor the video in not scaled pal! Great
> thing in MPlayer. If the output would be similar (smooth and left
> top aligned) I could watch the video and use the VLC console at the
> same time, which would be perfect! Any ideas how to do it? At least
> some easy tips how to turn off  that scaling in the code??

Well MPlayer unlike VLC is not time critical. It easily drops frames
or displays them at a late time. VLC usually at least TRIES to decode
and display all the video and at the exact time it is supposed to
show as well. So on such a slow output, mplayer is bound to perform
better, simply because it doesn't care as much to what it outputs and
when. VLC's architecture isn't suited to run on such slow media.

DJ