[vlc-devel] Re: problem to load modules

Olivier Aubert oaubert at lisi.univ-lyon1.fr
Fri Jun 24 22:03:59 CEST 2005

> Well, that could be an environment issue : It might be that jni doesn't
> give the VLC executable in which directory it was launched. Since VLC
> will search the modules in a subdirectory of that one, there could be
> issues.
> Can you try to add the --plugins-path=<directory where the plugins are> option ?
> That is no definitive solution, but will allow us to determine if this
> is the issue...
I can confirm that this is an issue when using VLC embedded as a
language binding (in my case, the python binding). On win32, VLC needs
to be launched (or instanciated from the binding) in its installation
directory. Thus, in the python binding, it is necessary to chdir to the
installation directory before initializing the player. This is
unnecessary in the linux/unix version.

It would be nice on win32 to have VLC check itself the registry entry
Software\VideoLAN\VLC and use that as default directory when it is
unable to find its module directory.

Olivier