[vlc-devel] Proposed changes for SAP module

Marian Durkovic md at bts.sk
Tue Jun 28 18:32:03 CEST 2005

Hi all,

   I'd like to propose some changes in SAP module for VLC, to allow
it to send all IPv4 XX over RTP streams directly to livedotcom input.
The main motivation is that livedotcom is able to restore correct
packet order based on RTP sequence numbers. Packet reordering/duplication
is unfortunately normal behaviour of some routers/switches and/or network
topologies (parallel links or redundant routers doing PIM ASSERT mechanism)
and video glitches every couple of seconds are not uncommon there.

   Obviously, XX over RAW UDP still needs to be handled in vlc because
of some bugs in live.com library... And thanks to courmisch for pointing
out to me privately that livedotcom does not support IPv6 yet.

  So I'd propose the following changes in modules/services_discovery/sap.c:

- in function OpenDemux():

    if((p_sdp->i_media_type != 33 && p_sdp->i_media_type != 32 &&
        p_sdp->i_media_type != 14 ) ||
       (!strncmp(p_sdp->psz_uri,"rtp",3) && p_sdp->i_in == 4)
        goto error;

(BTW, it might be also good to check here if "sap-parse" is false like below
in order give user the option to send e.g. http://foo.bar/x.sdp
unconditionally into livedotcom input as well)

- in function ParseSAP():

    if( p_sdp->i_media > 1 || ( p_sdp->i_media_type != 14 &&
                                p_sdp->i_media_type != 32 &&
                                p_sdp->i_media_type != 33) ||
        p_sd->p_sys->b_parse == VLC_FALSE ||
       (!strncmp(p_sdp->psz_uri,"rtp",3) && p_sdp->i_in == 4)
    {

   What do you think?

	Thanks & kind regards,

		M.