[vlc-devel] Re: vlc: svn commit r10197 (hartman)

Derk-Jan Hartman hartman at videolan.org
Tue Mar 8 21:25:15 CET 2005

On 08 mrt 2005, at 14:11, R. Bernstein wrote:
> Derk-Jan Hartman writes:
>> cddax is working. vcdx on OSX does not work (lack of format
>> detection?).

> What version of libcdio and vcdimager are used? The best one to use
> especially for format detection problems happens to be what is
> currently in CVS.

OS X contrib system uses:
CDDB_VERSION=0.9.6
CDDB_URL=$(SF)/libcddb/libcddb-$(CDDB_VERSION).tar.gz
VCDIMAGER_VERSION=0.7.21
VCDIMAGER_URL=$(GNU)/vcdimager/vcdimager-$(VCDIMAGER_VERSION).tar.gz
CDIO_VERSION=0.71
CDIO_URL=$(GNU)/libcdio/libcdio-$(CDIO_VERSION).tar.gz

> I see at http://videolan.org/vlc/download-sources.html that both the
> vcdimager and the libcdio sources are a bit out of date. Current
> tarballs can be found at
> http://www.gnu.org/software/{vcdimager,libcdio}

No they are not out of date. this page is for the source of the current
VLC release. Those have a "stable" contrib dir that we do not change
after a release.

>> DJ
>>
>> On 07 mrt 2005, at 23:30, Subversion daemon wrote:
>>
>>> r10197 | hartman | 2005-03-07 23:30:55 +0100 (Mon, 07 Mar 2005) | 2
>>> lines
>>> Changed paths:
>>>    M /trunk/configure.ac
>>>    M /trunk/extras/contrib/src/Makefile
>>>
>>> * dirty patch to tell vlc (on osx) that it needs -liconv when it
>>> links
>>> to libcdio. This should be fixed in the libcdio pkgconfig, but i'm
>>> tired of figuring out how to patch libcdio to do this.
>
> Actually, I don't believe libcdio requires libiconv; libcdio uses
> libiconv for Joliet support of ISO 9660 filesytems, which shouldn't be
> used for either VCD's or CD-DAs. So I'm assuming libcdio auto-detected
> libiconv but somehow it's not getting into pkg-config, even though
> libcdio's libiso9660.pc.in *does* have @LIBICONV@, and libcdio's
> configure.am has AM_ICONV.

no, libcdio is linked to iso9660, which has iconv. so if i disable
joliet support, then i guess the iconv dependancy would be no longer
required.

> Interesting that you are tired of figuring out how to patch
> libcdio. (I'll wager you've not spent nearly as much time as I have on
> libcdio as I have in trying to get vlc to work with CDDA or VCD.) But
> I too am tired of figuring out how to get pkg-config, libtool and
> autoconf to work properly! I've been told by other OSX folks who
> probably have spent more time on libcdio -- or at least have been more
> helpful as far as libcdio is concerneed -- that there is what looks
> like one pkg-config and/or libtool bug for at least OSX that's been
> reported.

i don't blame you. :)

> But I wonder if this dirty patch won't break for those OSX folks who
> don't have iconv installed. ViewCVS is currently unavailable so I
> can't look at the actually patch.

well as long as it still works on the 10.2 macosx build server it
doesn't matter much :)

DJ
---
Universiteit Twente