[vlc-devel] Re: [vlc-devel]dvb-s Real time Transcoding

Måns Rullgård mru at inprovide.com
Wed Mar 23 16:07:54 CET 2005

Raul Lucientes <rlr22 at tid.es> writes:

> Hi everybody,
>
> I'm trying streaming several services from a Astra Transponder to my LAN,
> but, our network requires a non VBR stream (CBR), its for that I'm using VLC
> instead VLS to "Transcode/Transrate" in real time several programs from this
> Astra Transponder.
>
> We only need "Transrate" the streams (not Transcoding), what's the best way
> for achieve this?????? What are the minimum hardware requisites for
> transcoding/transrating one service from a dvb-s Transponder?????

Is constant rate of the transport stream all that's required, while
the rate of elementary streams may vary?  If that's the case, all you
need to do is pad with some null packets to make the rate constant.
Any recent hardware should be up to the task.

If you need constant video bitrate, you'll need to transcode it, which
consumes much more CPU power.  The equivalent of 2GHz P4 per channel
should be enough.

--
Måns Rullgård
mru at inprovide.com